Search This Blog

Thursday, November 10, 2016

Poppies

This week, as I have watched the British news, I have noticed that all of the reporters are wearing a red poppy.  When Jeremy came home with one on his backpack (given to him by his teacher) my curiosity was spiked.
He told me about the poem called "In Flanders Fields" written by John McCrae (a Canadian surgeon). Red poppies grow naturally throughout Western Europe.  McCrae wrote the poem as a tribute to all the soldiers who died during World War 1.  The red poppy is a symbol of all the blood shed during that war and subsequent wars to follow. For more information on Remembrance Day, click here. And to read the poem "In Flanders Fields", click here.  As an American never living in Europe before, I was unaware of Remembrance Day.

In light of the U.S. election, I can not think of a better time to remember all the brave men and women not only from Europe, but from all over the world who have sacrificed their lives in the name of freedom.  Freedom is something that no one can take for granted.  It can make us powerful, but it is never free.  In the U.S. this week, it is also Veteran's Day.  I would like to take this opportunity to thank my grandfathers, extended family members, father and brother for your service in the name of freedom.

This week, let us remember everyone who has sacrificed themselves and family members for freedom of people all over the world.  It is through freedom that we can let our voices be heard, and I don't ever want to take that for granted.

No comments:

Post a Comment