Search This Blog

Sunday, October 2, 2016

Saint Josef"s Kathedral


I thought today I would share a place we visit each week here in Groningen, Saint Josef's Kathedral. It is named after Saint Josef, the patron saint of workers, and built in the Neo-Gothic style.  It is dedicated to all the workers who helped build it.  It was built between 1885 and 1887, and you can read more about its history by clicking here.  It is part of the Groningen-Leeuwarden diocese here in The Netherlands.  You can read more about the diocese by clicking here.  There are several masses offered during the week in Dutch.  Since our Dutch is not so good, we attend the only mass in English on Saturday evenings.:)  I'll let the pictures of this beautiful church speak for themselves...

Outside view of Saint Josef's Kathedral

altar inside Saint Josef's 

Side chapel 
Upper balcony and pipe organ
(Just a side note, I did wait until after Mass to take the pictures.:))We are truly privileged to have such a beautiful church to visit each week. I think I notice a new detail inside the church stained glass windows, statues and carvings each week during mass.  I hope you all have a wonderful Sunday.  I know we are enjoying a "real" fall here in The Netherlands.:)  More on that later this week.:)

Doei!

No comments:

Post a Comment