Search This Blog

Monday, October 10, 2016

It's (Really) Fall Y'all!

The temperatures are dipping here in Holland.  As a matter of fact, it was 2 degrees Celsius (about 35 degrees Fahrenheit) this morning on our bike ride to school.  The leaves here are changing colors and it really feels like the seasons are changing.  I have lived in California, Louisiana, Texas, Nigeria and back to Texas again since Guy and I were married.  For almost 20 years, I have not gotten to experience the changing of seasons, and I am so excited that we can experience a "real fall".:)





 We are getting ready for one of the most loved times of year for both of my children....Halloween!!!


We are the ONLY people on our street decorating for Halloween!:)

So, I have learned that most people do not really do Halloween here as we know it in the U.S. In Holland, there is a similar holiday where the children carry paper lanterns and sing songs about Saint Martin, and go door to door in hopes for some candy or a small treat, but it is on Nov. 11. And,  it is called Saint Martin's Day.  Remember my post about Martini Tower?  Yes, I am talking about that same Saint Martin.  You can read more information on this Dutch tradition here.:) It didn't stop Jeremy and Elizabeth from wanting to put up our Halloween decorations.:)  So much for blending in with the Dutch!:)


I even managed to get two large pumpkins home from the market on my bike without either of them (or myself) falling off the bike!:)

I hope you are enjoying whatever season your country is experiencing around the globe from wherever you may be reading this.  Thanks for joining me!  I am thoroughly enjoying the change in seasons....ask me in a few months, in the dead of winter, and I may have something very different to say!:)

Until next time!
Doei!:)


1 comment:

  1. Well, in the dead of winter you just think of how well your adventurous Illinois winter wedding turned out!

    ReplyDelete