Search This Blog

Friday, September 2, 2016

The Heart of the City

Throughout Europe, one thing you can almost count on while traveling through cities which have been around since Medieval times is that they each have a city center which seems to be the heart of the town.  This is the place people will go to meet for a cup of coffee, do some shopping, sipping some wine ( insert my little winking emoji) etc.  Groningen is no different.  The city center here is always full of people shopping, eating and just enjoying time together.

When you get to the city center, one of the first things you will see is Martini Tower.  I remember Guy telling me about Martini Tower and I have to say it peaked my attention.  I mean we are in the Netherlands, and there is a tower named after Martinis?  Really?? It sounded more Italian than Dutch to me. I was intrigued...what did it look like?  Well, here you go...


Definitely not a Martini shaped Tower, but beautiful none the less!!  It turns out that Martini Tower is the English transalation from the Dutch name Martini Toren ( Martini Tower).  I still wasn’t quite sure how such an Italian sounding name was in the center of a very Dutch city.  So after a little bit of research, I found out that Martini tower was actually built in the 15th century and was named Martini Kerk ( Martin’s Church).  It was named after Saint Martin of Tours, and it is the highest church steeple in Groningen.  It’s tower stands high above the city center, and you can go and take tours and climb to the top.:) We haven’t done that yet, but it is on our list.:)

West of Martini Tower (still in the City Center), De Vismarkt ( The Fish Market) is open on Tuesdays, Fridays, and Saturdays.  During these times, vendors are there with their stalls set up selling fish, fruits, vegetables and flowers, clothes, fabrics, etc.  We have been a few times and it is quite an experience to see all the fresh food, produce and wares all laid out.:)







If you’re lucky, there will be vendors out in The Fishmarket making and selling what has quickly become Jeremy and Elizabeth’s all time favorite treat...The Stroopwafel. (The stroopwafel is two waffles sandwiching a carmel filling.  They were first made in Gouda which also happens to be where one of my all time favorite cheeses is made...more on that later!)) I have tried and failed and then tried again and failed again to say the name of this tasty Dutch waffle cookie which literally means “syrup waffle”, and I cannot say it.  If you want to hear the correct Dutch pronunciation, click here.  We were lucky one of the days we were there, and both the kids got stroopwafels hot off the press!
Last weekend, we ventured to De Vismarkt and Guy decided he wanted to try one of the 10 Dutch foods you must try.  This “must” is raw herring rolled in onions.  Let’s just say that the kids and I stuck with Stroopwafels, while Guy did this....

Walking through the open market and seeing everyone in the city center is a very unique and colorful experience.  The kids like to go on the days De Vismarkt is open to see what may be displayed.  I personally like to go and observe the people there and hear the Dutch language which I am hoping I can absorb through osmosis.:) Until next time,  Vaarwel ( Farewell)  

And...if you are wondering if he went through with it, scroll on down...



No comments:

Post a Comment